Thursday, November 12, 2009

Revisiting Old Friends...

There are movies out there that I watched as a kid that filled me with a sense of adventure and wonder. I loved the characters and the situations that they were put in had me on the edge of my seat as I waited to find out if they would make it through unscathed. I would put these flicks in a special drawer of the movie collection at my house. A drawer reserved for movies I loved and could watch over and over again.

As I grew older and my tastes started to change and solidify into what they are now something happened that saddens me to this day.

A lot of those movies got really dumb.

It's not their fault. They were created to appeal to a kid who didn't exist anymore when it came to my life. The silly adventures of these characters had now been unmasked as unrealistic, poorly written, and in the end... not entertaining.

Every once in a while I will come across a movie I haven't seen in ages and have to make that decision. The decision of if I should watch the movie and run the risk of having it turn into one of the films that has been lost in the same place childhood things go.

There are a couple movies I have sitting at my house right this very second that I have bought on DVD because the memories I have of that film are ones of wonder and excitement and I have yet to watch them for fear of losing them as well. Some of these flicks I have had sitting on my shelf for a couple years.

Some of the movies hold up. They may not be as good as I remember them being but they are fun and still hold a bit of wonder within them. But the loss is too great to chance sometimes. Sometimes I want to hold on to the memories a little bit longer.

I sat with my family this week and watched The Muppets Take Manhattan. I hadn't seen the flick in a while and I wondered if this was going to be the case. Was I going to come away from this viewing thinking that the Muppets were lost to me? Of course not... it's the stinking Muppets!

Are there movies out there like this for you? Which ones?

1 Comments:

Anonymous sebastian said...

that happened to me a few times, most of the Disney movies released in 90's except lion king and hook. all pixar movies during the 90's are just as good when i original saw them.

November 13, 2009 at 12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home