Monday, October 26, 2009

Why isn't Saw 6 straight to DVD...

Paranormal Activity beat out Saw 6 for the top spot this weekend. Could it be that audiences have grown tired of the franchise? I'm surprised that it isn't hitting the straight to DVD shelves by now. When you release a sequel every year for the last six years it's bound to happen someday.
Maybe this will show Hollywood that we would like a little quality instead of quantity for a change.

The true test comes next weekend though. Will Saw remain out of the #1 spot? The way I see it is that we have a Halloween weekend and people are going to want to go see a scary movie. Saw isn't scary. Saw movies are gross. It scares no one. With all the news agencies and twitter posts about Paranormal being one of the scariest movies ever I think people are going to flock to the theaters to see it on the one night of the year you are meant to scare the heck out of yourself. I know I would.

I wonder what the Saw folks are doing this morning as they get up and head to work? Are they having meetings about bumping up the marketing? Did they even see this as a possibility? Are plans for the next movie being rethought?

I would hope so. I would like to think that the studio has seen that the franchise has been drained of life and that it's time to move on to something new. I doubt it though. It still made a little money and it will make a little more as the weeks pass. Plus DVD sales are always pretty good. I guess we just have to wait it out.

Of course... I just read about the push to get Paranormal Activity 2 off the ground. Now that's scary.

2 Comments:

Anonymous sebastian said...

the saw executives dont see it as being sent to dvd just yet. i hope they found out by box office earnings. they should realized no more saw after 1st sequel. or even should not have made that sequal.

October 27, 2009 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger Sunshineyness said...

Strictly as a non Saw fan (I love horror movies but I just could not get into Saw, even the first one) I'm betting the next one is still in theaters but with a significant cut in the budget and anything after it goes to DVD. Honestly, I think it's just the high number in such little time thing killing the franchise because even with the Freddy's, Jason's, and Halloween's it took significantly longer time for it to get up into 6/7 and they just pounded those Saws out in such little time.

Honestly, if I wasn't working I wasn't gonna see either of them. On Halloween night if I go to a movie I find a theater showing a midnight of something fun (Rocky Horror, Halloween, Evil Dead, even one of our local theaters got a print of Nightmare on Elm Street 3, etc)

October 31, 2009 at 9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home