Saturday, October 24, 2009

Ghosts and Goblins...

One more week until Halloween. It used to be my favorite holiday of the year. My friends and I would plan a Halloween party, I would watch a ton of scary movies, and I would enjoy all the Halloween episodes of all my favorite tv shows.
As the years have gone by my love of the holiday has gone away. I don't watch horror movies that much. I don't get excited about finding a costume. Halloween on tv has been minimized almost to the point of exclusion.
What has this got to do with movies, you may ask?

I'm bringing it back this year. I'm bringing it back and it's starting with the movies.

After seeing Paranormal Activity last week I am excited to see some good horror movies this October and with only a week left in the month I really have to get cracking.
So my plan is to try and watch a couple movies a night for the rest of the week and I'm going to try and make sure these are movies I haven't seen before.
I'm going to throw in a few zombie movies, a slasher or two, and maybe even some good ol fashioned monsters.
If anyone out there has some ideas on the flicks I should peep let me know. I have a few in the Netflix instant watch already and a couple bought over the last couple years I have yet to watch so I'm set for the first few nights. But a little help couldn't hurt.

I grew up watching horror movies. I'm not sue why I was allowed to watch them at such a young age but... oh well. I grew up with Jason, Freddy, Michael, and Leatherface. I had seen all the originals and all the sequels and at a young age knew which ones were cool and which ones were jumping the shark. I became a critic of fine horror cinema. I remember getting at least one horror movie each visit to the video rental store. I would devour whole series in a weekend. One Saturday I managed to get through all the Puppet Master movies. No small feat.
I find it funny that my kids have a small collection of movies that consists of nothing but Disney and Scooby-Doo movies and when I was young I had Friday the 13th and Child's Play among my tapes.
Horror seems to have dropped in quality since I was a kid. What used to be left to the imagination has been brought into the light with horrifying detail as most horror movies coming out these days are pushing the graphic and leaving behind storytelling. I'm not saying the movies from before were gone with the wind. They just didn't need to show all the brutality to scare you.

But times have changed and now I find myself about to jump into the horror arena once again. Maybe I'll revisit the Puppet Master flicks again...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Dave in the Quiet Corner said...

What about "Drag Me To Hell"? Gonna see that one???!!!

October 26, 2009 at 11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home