Thursday, November 5, 2009

Trailer time...

I love trailers.

I make sure that I make it to the theater with enough time so that I don't miss any of the trailers that come on before the movie each time I head out to peep a flick. I makes some of the people I tend to go to movies with think I'm a little nuts. They tend to roll up into the theater right before the movie begins and it's not unusual for them to come in a few minutes into the movie. I never understood how they can do that.

I always saw the trailers as an event in and of themselves. You may be there to see the latest action flick but the chance to get a peep at the latest flicks Hollywood has to offer is like getting an extra present under the tree at Christmas time. It's like getting a desert at a resturant and not having to pay for it. It's like winning the lottery!

Ok... so thats taking it a little far.

The point is... trailers are cool. Some of them are made better than the movies they are trying to sell you. An example...

When the trailer for the first new Star Wars movie in forever and a day came out in the theater people were flocking to the movies houses just to see a peek at the movie. What we saw was magic. Brief glimpses into a world of magic and science that we hadn't seen in years. A world that was now sharper and bigger. The sounds of the classic theme and the hum of lightsabers filled the darkness and we all held our breath in excitment and anticipation.

And then the movie came out.

It wasn't all we had expected from what we saw in the trailer. At least it wasn't for me. I felt a little left down as the epic nature of the trailer did not extend to the film itself. Now I know there are plenty of people out there who will disagree with me about that but it's only my opinion. You can like what ever movie you want. I won't judge.

Another trailer I saw that was pretty cool was for another sci fi flick. I sat in the theater and watched as scenes played out of SWAT teams storming a building, black helicopters, an explosion, and a vast field with a white tent in the middle. I had no idea what this movie was and when a single voice called out a single name to warn the other of impending doom I was pretty stinking excited. That name was Mulder.

The trailer for the X Files movie was cool because you couldn't tell what movie it was until the reveal. I liked that.

A teaser that comes to mind that got a lot of reaction in the theater was the teaser for The Dark Knight. Bits of dialouge mixed with the black background that is torn apart and reveals the bat symbol was awesome. Yoy could hear the people in the theater get excited as they realized what they were seeing. I love those moments.

These are the moments that you are missing when you come to the theater late. I recommend taking in the whole experience next time if you are one of those people who wanders in after the movie has started.

2 Comments:

Anonymous sebastian said...

i do enjoy teasers more than the trailers. often trailers reveal the plot and even the ending. i wish that the executives make the trailers in the type of teasers. they shouldn't reveal the whole movie. just show some parts, make it exciting.

November 5, 2009 at 5:44 PM  
Anonymous sebastian said...

i do agree Jason. trailers can sometimes be better than the movie.

November 5, 2009 at 5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home