Saturday, January 30, 2010

I just got comfortable...

Know what I hate? I hate when I sit down to watch a movie, throw the blanket over my legs, get the snack and drink right where I want them, go to hit play on the remote... only to then notice I forgot to put my glasses on. So I throw the blanket off and find the glasses and put them on. I head back to the couch and get all ready again... only to have forgotten to turn off the lights I had switched on to find the glasses.

I seem to go through this dance a lot. You think I would be prepared or at least conscious of the fact that it happens more often than not to make sure I covered all the bases before getting comfy. But no. I never think of it until near the point of no return.

This afternoon as I sat to watch a flick the same thing happened but with the rare twist of the DVD that just doesn't want to be my friend. I sat and got all situated on the couch only to have to get up again and get the glasses I mentioned before. After all the up and down was finished I was watching the movie and getting into it. It's a cloudy gloomy day out and that's always good for a movie. I was relaxing and getting into that zen mood when the dumb movie stopped. Not turned off but froze up on a frame and didn't feel like going on.

Now in these situations I can usually stare at the screen for about ten seconds before I push the play button again on the remote in full understanding that it won't do a dang thing. The machine whirs and clicks as it tries to do what I have asked of it. It tries to work through the scratch or smudge that is keeping me from finding out if Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock really do love each other despite all their differences when I finally break down and get up. I head to the machine and get the DVD out to see what could be causing the problem. It's a little scratched but nothing that I can see would cause the issues. There is a little smudge so I clean the disk off a little and then put it back in the machine.

After a little menu surfing I manage to get back to the spot in the movie where the freeze up was and it plays perfectly through it. So I settle back onto the couch and recover the legs and get back into the mode of Film Zen I had been pulled out of. I'm finding out that good ol Sandy isn't the cold hearted witch she seems to be on the outside when I get another freeze.

This time I refused to get up and do the same song and dance as before and just hit the chapter skip button. I do a little rewinding (I know it's a DVD and thus cannot be "rewound" but who cares) and get to the spot right before the freeze occurred. Once again I have been disrupted but it has been fixed. The universe resumes it's slow spin and I once again get back into Film Zen.

But man... I really hate it when that happens. Don't you?

2 Comments:

Blogger Maria said...

It is very annoying when discs act up. Recently I had something similar happen with an audiobook. At work I can listen to music or whatever with headphones. I have a CD player. I was using that and certain discs of the book stopped and kept repeating words like records used to do. I went up a chapter, back a chapter and it didn't work. I took it out and put it back in and it worked but then froze at a different spot. Then the next disc had a chapter that did that too. Eventually I gave up on one chapter and was glad that the last few discs didn't do that.

January 30, 2010 at 1:31 PM  
Anonymous Dave in the Quiet Corner said...

I feel your pain Jason. My wife and I had settled in to watch "The Winslow Boy" several years ago when something similar happened. Right at the point at the end of the movie where Rebecca Pidgeon's character was about to profess her love for Jeremy Northam's the movie skipped to the credits. "What!" my wife shouted. "No way, what did she say?" I must have "rewound" and paused that one scene about twenty times just to get that one bit of dialog. I even resorted to using the captions and single frame advance just hear what she said. We finally got it. Happy ending.

Just like the movie.

February 1, 2010 at 1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home