Friday, December 11, 2009

25 Days of Christmas: Day Eleven


The Santa Clause 2 (2002)

"Oh, a battle of wits. It's a shame that you come unarmed." - Carol Newman











Who knew this could be a franchise? Tim Allen as Santa returns to find a woman. Turns out that if he doesn't get married soon he can't be Santa anymore. That would hurt the chances for another sequel so he gets to looking.

Eventually he falls for the hard nosed principal of his son's school and holiday miracles ensue. Plus there is trouble in the North Pole as the robot Santa that was left in charge while Tim Allen was out looking for a bride malfunctions and starts causing all sorts of issues.

I liked this movie for the most part. I was down with the search for the wife and the whole deal with him falling in love again. But the parts with RoboSanta really didn't do it for me. It felt uneeded. I think there was enough drama going on with Tim Allen trying to woo the woman with the heart of stone. Did we really need the crazy hijinks of the robot.

The whole cast returns for the sequel which was nice. I enjoy it when the cast can be preserved for extra outings. Charlie, the son, is having issues in this movie as he goes about tagging buildings and getting busted by the cops. Things get worked out in the end though and he's put on the path of good once again. He's older in this flick which threw me off watching these movies right after each other. He's no long the squeaky voiced little kid forcing his dad into a dead man's clothes...

What happened to the former Mrs. Clause? If you need a wife to keep being Santa what happened to the wife of the guy who fell off the roof? I don't remember them saying anything about her...

Anyway...

My favorite scene is when "Scott Calvin" livens up the teacher Christmas party by giving out the toys that the adults always wanted as kids. It's a sweet scene that gets me every time.

Um... I don't really have too much to say about the flick other than that. I liked it. It's a good watch this time of year. The acting gets the job done. I'm not sure it really needed to be a three film franchise which is why you won't find the 3rd movie on the list for this little experiment in cheerfulness. I think the first two say it all.

Onward we go on the list...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home