Monday, December 7, 2009

25 Days of Christmas: Day Seven


The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)

"Ooh, and I am about to raise you right off the pavement!" - Miss Piggy










We return again to the world of the Muppets as they set their sights on the classic Christmas story of the Christmas Carol. There had been a little bit of time between the last Muppet production and this one as Jim Henson passed away and the future of the Muppets seemed a little uncertain. After all... Jim Henson was not only the creator and guiding force behind the Muppets but he was the voice of Kermit as well as others in the cast of characters.

His son, Brian Henson, comes in and directs the movie with skill and passion. Michael Cain brings the role of Scrooge to life and you can feel the hate and greed pour off the man in the beginning and see the light grow brighter in his eyes as the ghosts take him through the night. Plus the man had to act opposite the Muppets. I'm actually surprised an actor of his caliber agreed to do the flick. He didn't phone it in... he excelled.

This might be my favorite of the "Carols" that I have currently seen due to it being the Muppets and for the straight up fact that it's a well made movie. The set is massive and detailed and all the Muppets were well cast for the story. Sure... some liberties were taken here and there but nothing that changed the story or the intent.

I love the music as well. I find myself humming and even singing along with each tune. Sometime during musicals there might be a song or two you don't really care for and one or two that you want to put on your iPod right away. All the songs in the movie are good and it's nice to hear them again as the holidays come back around each year.

There is so much good about this movie that it's really hard to find something wrong with it. The only thing I noticed for the DVD is that they have a anniversary edition that has an extended cut on it. But you can only watch the extended cut on the full screen version of the movie and only the theatrical version is in widescreen. That bugs me. But that has nothing to do with the film itself.

The humor in the flick gets me each time as well. I love when Piggy is going off on Scrooge at the dinner and her daughters are coping the last ew words she says. I know it's coming but each time it makes me laugh.

The more serious notes of the flick are... well... serious. They don't tone down the heart break over losing Tiny Tim or the dark events surrounding the looting of the recently deceased Scrooge. You may think this is a kids film but it treats the topic at hand with seriousness so as not to delude the lesson it's meant to tell. I respect that as they could have easily watered it down with humor. I believe it when Scrooge has his transformation.

All that to say that this is an excellent Christmas movie and one that I try and watch every year on Christmas eve with the kids.

Thanks to all who have commented on the past posts. I'm enjoying going through all these movies and it makes it all the more worth it to know you are enjoying the posts as well. See you tomorrow for another flick...

1 Comments:

Blogger Maria said...

There were a couple years in a row that I watched Muppet Christmas Carol on Thanksgiving. My aunt likes the movie so after dinner we watched it. I should pick it up this year and watch it. It is a fun movie.

December 11, 2009 at 3:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home