Wednesday, December 9, 2009

25 Days of Christmas: Day Nine



A Christmas Story (1983)

"You'll shoot your eye out, kid." - Mall Santa










Not a fan. I know. There are those of you out there who must think I've lost my mind. How could I not love a movie that is played on television 24 hours straight every Christmas? How could I not dig the antics of Ralphie as he tries his best to get the coveted Red Rider BB Gun under that tree come Christmas morning? I don't know. I just don't care for the flick.

I guess I can see why other folks like it so much. It's very quotable. There are some things from everyones childhood represented in the flick. I can relate to having a crush on a teacher. I know the fear one feels when tormented by the school bully. I know what it's like to yearn for a toy all Christmas season with no garuntee that it would end up being yours in the end. I just find the whole movie a little over rated.

The film centers around Ralphie as he goes about his life during the Christmas season. He really really really wants a Red Rider BB Gun but no one seems to understand. They just keep telling him that he'll shoot his eye out if he did get it. He tries trick after trick and ploy after ploy with nothing to show for it except a bruised ego.

Of course... he does get the gun in the end thanks to his father who understands more than his mother why the kid needs to get the coveted gun. It's a guy thing, after all.

Over the years I've learned that most folks see this as the fathers movie as much as it is Ralphie's. We get to see the Old Man through the eyes of his young son as he attempts to fix a heater day after day and when he gets excited over winning a prize that for everyone else is a joke but to him it's a validation that he has worth in the world other than bringing home the bacon.

There is one seen that always comes to mind when I think about this movie. The tounge to the flagpole scene. I get chill everytime I see this scene for what boy hasn't thought about doing the same thing. I remember having a root beer float ice cream bar when I was younger and when I took the first lick my tounge stuck to the icy exterior and for a brief moment I knew the fear of that young lad as he froze, literally, in place for fear of ripping his tounge from his head. The fact that all his friends leave him there to suffer is a point of sadness in the movie for me and not the humor that most get from it. That's just messed up.

While I don't think it's a terrible movie I just don't see what all the hype is over. I could do with a couple of years without having to see this on television everytime I flip through the channels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home